Support Home > Offshore Navigator (& Lite) & Chart Navigator (Viewer) > Technical Documents > Installing Offshore Navigator (and Lite) and Chart Navigator Viewer in Windows Vista & Windows 7
Windows Vista & Windows 7 Setup procedure, including Power Squadron Training CDs, Digital ChartKits, and other Maptech Marine applications.
Maptech's Offshore Navigator (and many related products, such as Offshore Navigator Lite and Chart Navigator Viewer) was created long before Microsoft Windows Vista or Windows 7 were released. As you may be aware, Microsoft Vista and Windows 7 are designed to restrict access to certain core components of the operating system, in order to make the system more robust and secure. Unfortunately, by doing this, older applications must be run "As Administrator" and in "Windows XP Compatibility Mode" in order to function correctly.
These steps may not install on 64-bit systems. Some older Maptech Installer Discs for Offshore Navigator, Offshore Navigator Lite, or Chart Navigator (Viewer) will install on 32 bit systems only.
If you have a 64 bit system and the install process ends with an error about the 64 bit incompatibility, please contact Maptech Navigation Sales at 978-834-9950 for a replacement Offshore Navigator v5.08e, or Offshore Navigator Lite v5.08b Installer Disc that can handle the 64 bit operating system.
The first step to getting everything installed in Windows Vista or Windows 7, is to ensure that the Setup application is running with these parameters. Otherwise, the Setup program will error out complaining about an "Unknown Operating System" and be looking for "Microsoft Internet Explorer," and/or other similar error messages.
To Install Offshore Navigator (or a related product) in Windows Vista or 7:
1. Insert the CD labeled Installer.
2. If an AutoPlay window appears, choose to View the Files in Windows Explorer.
(If an Auto Play window does NOT appear, click on the Computer icon - or access the Computer under the Start Menu - and then right click the Installer Disc listing, and choose Explore.)
3. A list of files on that CD will appear. One (or more) will appear as Setup - look for the Application File that is Setup (or Setup.exe.) Once located, right click on the Setup application file and select Properties.
4. Click the Compatibility tab and for Compatibility Mode check on the option that reads Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP (Service Pack 2) or (Service Pack 3) if avaliable.
5. On that same page, click on the Privilege Level that reads Run this program as an Administrator and press OK.
6. Now, right-click on that same Setup application, and choose Run this program as an Administrator and the install process should proceed as expected. Follow the on-screen instructions to install and, if necessary, register the software and charts. However, at the conclusion of the process, you may be prompted to run the application (Chart Navigator, Offshore Navigator Lite, or Offshore Navigator) that was just installed.
Do NOT elect to start the application - yet.
7. On the Windows desktop, there will now appear an icon for the Maptech application that has just been installed (Chart Navigator, Offshore Navigator Lite, or Offshore Navigator) Right-click on this icon and choose Properties.
8. Click the Compatibility tab and for Privilege Levelcheck the option that reads Run this program as an administrator and press OK.
9. If the installed software is not already at v5.08,
follow the appropriate link below to update the software to it's latest version.
10. Finally, double-click on the Chart Navigator, Offshore Navigator Lite, or Offshore Navigator Desktop icon. The application will start and operate normally.
1. These software programs may not install on 64-bit Operating Systems.
The above steps are for 32-bit Vista or 32-bit Windows 7 computers.
2. This process assumes that Windows Vista and Windows 7 are not being used in a multi-user environment (where one PC has two or more accounts.) If this is the case, the install process must be repeated for each user that intends to access the Maptech navigation software.
3. Tide and Currents documents (containing the tables, not the dynamic graphs) as well as the Coast Pilot pages and Light Lists are in a ".hlp" format that has been discontinued by Microsoft.
Click here for a download to add .hlp compatibility to Microsoft Windows Vista.
Click here for a download to add .hlp compatibility to Microsoft Windows 7.
4. There are updates available for each type of Maptech Navigation application. If you have an older version, we highly recommend these free downloads
Offshore Navigator version 5.08
Offshore Navigator Lite version 5.08
Chart Navigator Viewer version 5.08
5. If required, Maptech makes the 5.08 software available on CD. Version 5.08e for Offshore Navigator that has been tested to install properly in Windows Vista and Windows 7, and automatically configures itself to operate in the required compatibility modes. If this CD is required, it may be purchased for $49.95 by calling 978-834-9950.
Related Technical Documents
BSB Chart Registration (for Windows Vista)