HOME > SUPPORT > FORUMSLog In
Maptech Support

Old Forums - Dec. 2003 and Earlier: Old Forums - Dec. 2003 and Earlier: Outdoor Navigator: Panning very difficult

Old Forum User
Original Message
(Posted Oct 26, 2003 12:21 PM)
thread closed

I've just downloaded Outdoor Navigator and trying to run it on a Palm Tungsten T.

Everything seems to work fine except for panning. When I try to use a stylus or finger to pan a map, it only works about 5% of the time. Most of the time nothing happens. About 1.3 of the time, even though I have started moving the finger or stylus as soon as I touch the screen, the "select map" etc. popup appears.

While it seems likely to be a hardware issue, I haven't had this problem with any other applications, and I can't for the life of my figure out what the problem might be.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Previous     
Replies 1 - 9 of 9
     Next     

Old Forum User
The Developer of Oudoor Navigator responds...
(msg #n/a: Posted Oct 28, 2003 11:13 AM)

If you press and hold the stylus on the map for about 3/4ths of a second, the popup will be displayed. If you move the stylus before then (at least a few pixels), the map will pan. If there is something on your Tungsten that is adjusting the timing so that 3/4ths of a second is
actually happening faster, the popup will appear quicker. Timing changes like this could occur because of a hardware problem or because of some type of speed improvement add-on that adjusts the internal clocking mechanism. A couple of questions come to mind:

1. When you press the stylus in one place, do you sense a 3/4 second delay before the popup menu appears? If so, just press and move the pen faster.

2. Do you have any "speed improvement" software installed? If so, remove it.

3. Are you having problems with your time-of-day clock? If so, it points to a hardware problem.

Old Forum User
(msg #n/a: Posted Oct 28, 2003 1:42 PM)

Thanks for the information. I have no over-clicking software installed, and the clock is fine.

What happens is that I click and move the stylus--and after 3/4 second, the popup appears where I originally clicked. I tried pressing harder, thinking that somehow the Palm wasn't sensing my "drag" but it really doesn't seem to matter. And the popup always appears at the initial site.

I found that tapping twice to recenter then makes it easier to pan; and once I'm panning, it pans just fine. But if I pause, the map freezes.

Very, very strange! I have noticed that I've had a bit worse recognition with Graffiti recently compared to what I expect/want, but nothing severe. And I re-ran the digitizer setup which seemed fine.

Thanks again for your help.

Old Forum User
Another thing to try...
(msg #n/a: Posted Oct 28, 2003 2:11 PM)

Go to the Note Pad built-in application. Create a new note. Draw on the screen. Does the drawing perfectly mimic the path that your stylus is taking?

-Ed Lecuyer

Manager, Quality Assurance and Technical Support

Old Forum User
(msg #n/a: Posted Oct 28, 2003 2:40 PM)

Except for my lack of artistic talent, NotePad seems to work just fine, and the lines follow the stylus closely and promptly.

sigh.

Old Forum User
Another Question...
(msg #n/a: Posted Oct 30, 2003 5:42 PM)

Does this happen on one map or on any of the maps/charts? Does it happen on the World Map, for example?

-Ed Lecuyer

Old Forum User
(msg #n/a: Posted Oct 31, 2003 9:08 AM)

Happens with the world map, too.

Wonder if it might be an interaction with some other program that leaves some hooks in the Palm OS?

Interestingly, if I double-tap on the map, then most of the time I can then pan the map. This seems to work better on the world map than a topo map.

Old Forum User
MODERATOR'S NOTE
(msg #n/a: Posted Oct 31, 2003 2:36 PM)

We have elected to continue this discussion outside of this public forum via email. It is apparent that this situation is very unique and to continue to try to diagnose the problem via a public discussion forum would not be most effective.

If and when we find a solution, I will post it in this thread.

Sincerely,

-Ed Lecuyer

Old Forum User
(msg #n/a: Posted Nov 3, 2003 9:51 AM)

Tracked down the problem. It's a conflict with the drivers for the Palm Ultra-Compact keyboard.

Workaround for now: move the drivers to a spare card, one that doesn't have the Outdoor Navigator maps on it. That way you can use Outdoor Navigator, then switch cards if you need to use the keyboard.

Old Forum User
Lesson learned...
(msg #n/a: Posted Nov 3, 2003 4:50 PM)

The lesson to learn from this is to beware of any software that might be
using the serial port asynchronously, such as a keyboard driver, phone
connection, etc. You never know what might interfere with applications that are expecting a GPS signal/NMEA data.

Now we all know.

Thanks again for your patience as we worked through this problem.

-Ed Lecuyer

Previous     
Replies 1 - 9 of 9
     Next     

© 1989 - 2014 Maptech, Inc., All Rights Reserved. Maptech ® is a registered trademark of Maptech, Inc.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS