HOME > SUPPORT > FORUMSLog In
Maptech Support

Offshore Navigator (& Lite) & Chart Navigator (Viewer): General: Offshore Navigator: Application Discussion: usb support

Gary Schneeman
Original Message
(Posted Dec 21, 2003 10:03 AM)

when will offshore navigator support the usb connector

Previous     
Replies 20 - 29 of 29
     Next     

Sort( By Date - Threaded )

Wayne Pearson
RE(3): What USB GPS is this?
(msg #2.1.1.1.2.1.178.364: Posted Jul 25, 2007 11:59 AM)

Hi Jack,

The Navman e Series GPS is the GPS that comes with the Rand McNally Street Finder Deluxe software.

The Garmin GPS18 USB is a small black GPS that sends NMEA 0183 sentences but uses a USB connection. Garmin provides a driver for the GPS18 USB model GPS that is supported in OffshoreNavigator.

Wayne Pearson

Hallgrimur Bjorgolfsson
RE: usb support
(msg #3: Posted Mar 11, 2004 12:59 PM)

I just bought the Marine Navigator, and a GPS receiver Navman e Series. This receiver comes with Randy McNally software. It works with the virtual USB com port (com4) in the Randy McNally software, but Maptech can not find the signal on Com4.
I have tried it using hyper terminal to see if I can see the signal, but it dose not detect anything from com4

Ed Lecuyer
If nothing in Hyperterminal...
(msg #3.1: Posted Mar 11, 2004 1:38 PM)

If Hyperterminal does not display a series of NMEA strings coming in on a perticular COM port, there is some sort of connection issue (independent of Offshore Navigator) and Offshore Navigator will not be able to use the GPS.

You may want to first confirm that Rand McNally is communicating to the GPS on COM 4. If it is, then it may be communicating in some propretary mode that does not use NMEA strings; contact NAVMAN for assistance.

Once you can see NMEA sentances in Hyperterminal, Offshore Navigator will be able to track with that GPS.

- Ed Lecuyer
Manager, Quality Assurance and Technical Support

Hallgrimur Bjorgolfsson
RE: If nothing in Hyperterminal...
(msg #3.1.1: Posted Mar 12, 2004 9:40 AM)

Thank you for prompt reply, I found a USB driver update on the Navman site, after downloading it it worked fine with Maptech, on com7
Thank's
Halli B

Ron Dudas
RE(2): If nothing in Hyperterminal...
(msg #3.1.1.1: Posted Mar 27, 2004 9:46 AM)

Ed, As regards to USB ports. I found this information on the Boat U/S forum. I thought
that it might be of some help to you and other form members. It’s all confusing to me,
but the day is coming that I also will have to replace my onboard computer.

It looks like a fix for Garmin. Will this unit work with Maptech software?

http://www.pfranc.com/usb/usb.mhtml

Ron D.

Doran Donovan
RE(3): If nothing in Hyperterminal...
(msg #3.1.1.1.1: Posted Mar 29, 2004 6:11 AM)

Ron, we haven't tried this, but looking at the information on the page, it should work.

The one that we (and Garmin) have been recommending for about a year now is made by keyspan www.keyspan.com

Doran Donovan

Robert Mattaliano
RE(3): If nothing in Hyperterminal...
(msg #3.1.1.1.2: Posted Apr 12, 2004 8:16 PM)

Ron,

The pfranc unit works fine with my Garmin GPS48, but only when GPS is in GRMN/GRMN mode not NMEA.

Bob

Todd Shepard
Garmin GPS18 usb support
(msg #5: Posted Sep 27, 2004 3:04 PM)

We recently bought a Garmin GPS 18 in the USB configuration, and we were wondering how to get it to work with Offshore Navigator.

This particular model does not have a virtual COM port. I tried most of the listed Garmin model types, and the generic NMEA ones too, but to no avail.

The owner of the device and software says he has seen them used together before - I have no way of verifying that though.

Can anyone help? Thanks!

Doran Donovan
RE(2): Garmin GPS18 usb support
(msg #5.1: Posted Sep 27, 2004 3:15 PM)

Todd, I checked the USB specifications on Garmin's site , and it looks like it outputs a proprietary Garmin language that Maptechs software does not support.

It looks like it comes in 2 other configurations that output standard NMEA 0183 and would work with Maptech software. The 2 other configurations are 9-pin and bare-wire.

Doran Donovan

Joseph Payne
RE: usb support for a Furuno GP-30
(msg #7: Posted Jul 1, 2007 10:08 PM)

I have a Furuno GP-30 that has serial data output only. I have tried a serial-usb converter that works fine with a Garmin 12 plugged into it, but the Ocean Nav LT doesn't seem to recognize the GP-30. Any suggestions?

Previous     
Replies 20 - 29 of 29
     Next     

© 1989 - 2014 Maptech, Inc., All Rights Reserved. Maptech ® is a registered trademark of Maptech, Inc.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS