HOME > SUPPORT > FORUMSLog In
Maptech Support

Offshore Navigator (& Lite) & Chart Navigator (Viewer): General: Offshore Navigator: Application Discussion: usb support

Gary Schneeman
Original Message
(Posted Dec 21, 2003 10:03 AM)

when will offshore navigator support the usb connector

Previous     
Replies 1 - 29 of 29
     Next     

Sort( By Date - Threaded )

Doran Donovan
RE: usb support
(msg #1: Posted Dec 22, 2003 6:42 AM)

Gary, There are a few GPS options to connect GPS receivers to USB ports.

Please refer to this 'Offshore Navigator' Technical Document.

Gary Schneeman
(msg #2: Posted Dec 29, 2003 2:52 PM)

i have a gps with a usb connector and my offshore program does not support the usb connector therefore the program can not locate the gps because it only has serial support

Ed Lecuyer
Drivers
(msg #2.1: Posted Dec 29, 2003 4:53 PM)

Your USB GPS unit came with (or should have come with) a driver. This driver installs a 'Virtual COM Port' that appears as a regular Serial port to any Windows application (including Offshore Navigator.)

When this driver is setup, it will assign a COM port to the GPS. Set this COM port in Offshore Naviogator as a NMEA Generic GPS unit and you should be in business. Please refer to the documentation that accompanies your USB GPS for more information on its driver, and how to configure it properly.

- Ed Lecuyer
Manager, Quality Assurance and Technical Support

Gary Schneeman
RE: Drivers
(msg #2.1.1: Posted Jan 8, 2004 5:50 PM)

thanks but i knew that the drivers can set it to a com port however they don't work well so one day maptech will have their program address the usb port and i was just wondering when
thanks again

Ed Lecuyer
What USB GPS is this?
(msg #2.1.1.1: Posted Jan 9, 2004 10:34 AM)

To our knowlege, there is no standard way of communicating with USB GPS units. If the manufacturer of the unit does not provide a reliable Virtual COM port driver, it is unlikely that this unit will work with any software (other than whatever software is specifically designed to work with that unit.)

So, what unit do you have (make, model number, etc.) If possible, we can look into providing a interface for that perticular unit.

- Ed Lecuyer

Gary Schneeman
RE: What USB GPS is this?
(msg #2.1.1.1.1: Posted Jan 12, 2004 11:18 AM)

DeLorme Earthmate GPS usb cable Model 9538 V1.0 ser# X3090027988 SiRF Powered. It would be great if it would work with offshore nav. my laptops does not have a serial port.
thanks again

Ed Lecuyer
DeLorme
(msg #2.1.1.1.1.1.89.463.216: Posted Jan 12, 2004 12:02 PM)

It is our understanding that the DeLorme USB GPS unit can be made to work with our products. I also understand, however, that their serial driver doesn't always work properly - which matches the scenario that you describe. Other mutual customers have also expressed frustration in getting assistance from DeLorme with using the DeLorme USB GPS with NMEA-compatable software.

Hopefully one of our customers reading this Forum will share their experience in getting the DeLorme driver to produce industry-standard, serial NMEA communications.

In the past, we have produced drivers for DeLorme's proprietary serial GPS units. While we will investigate this possibility with their USB model, I can say that every other USB-based GPS unit that we know of appears to work correctly with Offshore Navigator. We even offer a special deal on one (noted earlier in this thread) that we have tested in "real-world/open cockpit" conditions to deem it a quality product that we can recommend.

- Ed Lecuyer

David Hoch
RE: DeLorme
(msg #2.1.1.1.1.1.89.463.216: Posted Sep 27, 2004 12:04 AM)

Ed,

I cannot get my Offshore Navigator to use the NMEA sentences from my new Earthmate GPS. It works fine with Microsofts MapPoint program and naturally, the Delorme Streets 2005. Id really like this to work with OS. Any breaking news on this front?

Can you email me or do I check back here? dfhoch@yahoo.com

David Hoch
Las Vegas

Doran Donovan
RE(2): DeLorme
(msg #2.1.1.1.1.1.89.463.216: Posted Sep 27, 2004 3:18 PM)

David, click to see a technical document on the Delorme USB GPS.

Doran Donovan

David Hoch
RE(3): DeLorme
(msg #2.1.1.1.1.1.89.463.216: Posted Sep 28, 2004 2:07 PM)

Doran,

Thanks for the help. I get to step three, then select COM 11 (where the GPS is) and Maptech doesnt see it. There are NMEA sentences present in Hyperterm. Other third-party software sees it, but Offshore Nav doesnt. Any ideas? Is there phone support for this? David

Doran Donovan
RE(4): DeLorme
(msg #2.1.1.1.1.1.89.463.216: Posted Sep 28, 2004 2:50 PM)

David, do you have COM11 as an option in the GPS Setup? If not, Id recommend updating Offshore Navigator to the latest version which would give you a higher number of COM ports - choose "Downloads" at the top of this page.

If you have COM11 chosen, then go to Help > View GPS Data. If youre seeing info in Hyperterminal, you should see similar data here.

One other thing to check is to make sure you arent trying to view the GPS data while another program (Hyperterminal, Streets, Palm, Phone, etc) is using the COM port. Only one program can read the data coming through the port at a time.

Doran Donovan

David Hoch
RE(5): DeLorme
(msg #2.1.1.1.1.1.89.463.216: Posted Sep 28, 2004 6:54 PM)

I can select COM 11 in Offshore Navigator. Ill try your suggestions tonight and see what happens. Do you think moving the GPS to another COM port would help?
David

Doran Donovan
RE(6): DeLorme
(msg #2.1.1.1.1.1.89.463.216: Posted Sep 29, 2004 12:45 PM)

I dont. If you see the info in Hyperterminal with COM11 then it should work in Offshore Navigator on COM11.

Doran Donovan

David Hoch
RE(7): DeLorme
(msg #2.1.1.1.1.1.89.463.216: Posted Sep 29, 2004 12:48 PM)

Doran,

Last night I switched the port to COM 2 (through Device Manager, Ports, Advanced tab) and Offshore Navigator sees it perfectly. That shouldnt have made a difference, I agree, but it did. My Garmin Mapsource program can see it now too. Thanks for your help. David

Barry Shapiro
RE: Garmin 182c
(msg #2.1.1.1.1.1.89.463.216: Posted Oct 13, 2006 7:48 PM)

I would like to interface my Garmin 182C

Barry Shapiro
RE: Garmin 182c
(msg #2.1.1.1.1.1.89.463.216: Posted Oct 13, 2006 7:48 PM)

I would like to interface my Garmin 182C with a notebook computer using a USB connection. Garmin only has a cable with a serial connector. I want to be able to use the Navigator Program on the computer and "talk to" the Garmin unit. Can you be of any assitance...

Thank You

user user
RE(2): Garmin 182c
(msg #2.1.1.1.1.1.89.463.216: Posted Oct 16, 2006 9:09 AM)

Hello Barry:

You can get a serial to USB adapter from

here

Go to Marine Electronics and you will see the Sea Level Serial to USB adapter.

Jeffrey Atwood

Ron Alspaugh
RE: What USB GPS is this?
(msg #2.1.1.1.2: Posted Apr 13, 2005 10:15 AM)

I also have a note book computer with no serial port. The adapters that I have tried some times fail to work properly. It seems to me that the serial port standard will go the way that floppy diskettes have and that Maptech should start aggressively to support such devices as Garmin GPS18 USB.

Ron Alspaugh

Jack Harte
RE(2): What USB GPS is this?
(msg #2.1.1.1.2.1.178.364: Posted Jul 23, 2007 11:57 PM)

Wayne Pearson
RE(3): What USB GPS is this?
(msg #2.1.1.1.2.1.178.364: Posted Jul 25, 2007 11:59 AM)

Hi Jack,

The Navman e Series GPS is the GPS that comes with the Rand McNally Street Finder Deluxe software.

The Garmin GPS18 USB is a small black GPS that sends NMEA 0183 sentences but uses a USB connection. Garmin provides a driver for the GPS18 USB model GPS that is supported in OffshoreNavigator.

Wayne Pearson

Hallgrimur Bjorgolfsson
(msg #3: Posted Mar 11, 2004 12:59 PM)

I just bought the Marine Navigator, and a GPS receiver Navman e Series. This receiver comes with Randy McNally software. It works with the virtual USB com port (com4) in the Randy McNally software, but Maptech can not find the signal on Com4.
I have tried it using hyper terminal to see if I can see the signal, but it dose not detect anything from com4

Ed Lecuyer
If nothing in Hyperterminal...
(msg #3.1: Posted Mar 11, 2004 1:38 PM)

If Hyperterminal does not display a series of NMEA strings coming in on a perticular COM port, there is some sort of connection issue (independent of Offshore Navigator) and Offshore Navigator will not be able to use the GPS.

You may want to first confirm that Rand McNally is communicating to the GPS on COM 4. If it is, then it may be communicating in some propretary mode that does not use NMEA strings; contact NAVMAN for assistance.

Once you can see NMEA sentances in Hyperterminal, Offshore Navigator will be able to track with that GPS.

- Ed Lecuyer

Hallgrimur Bjorgolfsson
RE: If nothing in Hyperterminal...
(msg #3.1.1: Posted Mar 12, 2004 9:40 AM)

Thank you for prompt reply, I found a USB driver update on the Navman site, after downloading it it worked fine with Maptech, on com7
Thank's
Halli B

Ron Dudas
RE(2): If nothing in Hyperterminal...
(msg #3.1.1.1: Posted Mar 27, 2004 9:46 AM)

Ed, As regards to USB ports. I found this information on the Boat U/S forum. I thought
that it might be of some help to you and other form members. It’s all confusing to me,
but the day is coming that I also will have to replace my onboard computer.

It looks like a fix for Garmin. Will this unit work with Maptech software?

http://www.pfranc.com/usb/usb.mhtml

Ron D.

Doran Donovan
RE(3): If nothing in Hyperterminal...
(msg #3.1.1.1.1: Posted Mar 29, 2004 6:11 AM)

Ron, we haven't tried this, but looking at the information on the page, it should work.

The one that we (and Garmin) have been recommending for about a year now is made by keyspan www.keyspan.com

Doran Donovan

Robert Mattaliano
RE(3): If nothing in Hyperterminal...
(msg #3.1.1.1.2: Posted Apr 12, 2004 8:16 PM)

Ron,

The pfranc unit works fine with my Garmin GPS48, but only when GPS is in GRMN/GRMN mode not NMEA.

Bob

Todd Shepard
Garmin GPS18 usb support
(msg #5: Posted Sep 27, 2004 3:04 PM)

We recently bought a Garmin GPS 18 in the USB configuration, and we were wondering how to get it to work with Offshore Navigator.

This particular model does not have a virtual COM port. I tried most of the listed Garmin model types, and the generic NMEA ones too, but to no avail.

The owner of the device and software says he has seen them used together before - I have no way of verifying that though.

Can anyone help? Thanks!

Doran Donovan
RE(2): Garmin GPS18 usb support
(msg #5.1: Posted Sep 27, 2004 3:15 PM)

Todd, I checked the USB specifications on Garmin's site , and it looks like it outputs a proprietary Garmin language that Maptechs software does not support.

It looks like it comes in 2 other configurations that output standard NMEA 0183 and would work with Maptech software. The 2 other configurations are 9-pin and bare-wire.

Doran Donovan

Joseph Payne
RE: usb support for a Furuno GP-30
(msg #7: Posted Jul 1, 2007 10:08 PM)

I have a Furuno GP-30 that has serial data output only. I have tried a serial-usb converter that works fine with a Garmin 12 plugged into it, but the Ocean Nav LT doesn't seem to recognize the GP-30. Any suggestions?

Previous     
Replies 1 - 29 of 29
     Next     

© 1989 - 2014 Maptech, Inc., All Rights Reserved. Maptech ® is a registered trademark of Maptech, Inc.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS