HOME > SUPPORT > FORUMSLog In
Maptech Support

Offshore Navigator (& Lite) & Chart Navigator (Viewer): General: Offshore Navigator: Application Discussion: Raymarine support

Howard Kurzrok
Original Message
(Posted Jan 2, 2004 5:33 PM)

Not long ago (on the old forum) I saw some promising news on direct support for Raymarine products. Is there a roadmap / timeframe for rollout of this support?

Previous     
Replies 1 - 10 of 27
     Next     

Sort( By Date - Threaded )

Dwight Moxness
RE: Raymarine support
(msg #1: Posted Jan 3, 2004 8:21 AM)

I recently bought the Offshore Navigator Package and a set of charts after talking to Maptech technical support regarding the ability to work with my Raymarine equipment. I was told that I could use the Standard Horizon GPS setting in order to upload/download waypoints & routes to my Raymarine Chartplotter/GPS unit. This does not seem to work with either my Raymarine 108 series GPS directly nor my "almost new" Raychart 530 Series GPS/Chartplotter. I can get the GPS coordinates, but the Maptech software hangs when I try to upload/download waypoints/routes. I know that the waypoint information is being sent since I can see it using Windows Terminal program to look at the data stream. Since Raytheon is probably the largest supplier to the marine industry for large integrated electronics systems on the larger boats, it seems like Mapech should provide direct support. If not, please help users such as me with a method to "fool" the software into thinking it's working with a Standard Horizon unit.

Ed Lecuyer
Coming soon...
(msg #3: Posted Jan 5, 2004 1:33 PM)

The good news is that we now have a RayMarine GPS to develop a driver for interfacing with our products. Unfortunately, there was some initial confusion about the hookup cables and while we think we have that all straigtened out, another (very high priority) project is taking 100% of our development efforts at the moment. We will get back to the RayMarine GPS driver as soon as we can; we hope to have something available before the start of the 2004 boating season.

That having been said, we have had several customers confirm that using the "Standard Horizon 150" setting in Offshore Navigator seems to work correctly with their RayMarine GPS. This is provided that the RayMarine GPS is set to NMEA transfer mode (and not SeaTalk.) In fact, the driver that we will provide for RayMarine support will also require the GPS to be configured in NMEA transfer mode, since RayMarine does not offer 3rd party developers access to the SeaTalk specification.

- Ed Lecuyer
Manager, Quality Assurance and Technical Support

Ed Lecuyer
Standard Horizon
(msg #1.2: Posted Jan 5, 2004 1:37 PM)

As noted elsewhere in this thread, direct support for RayMarine GPS units is under development.

In the meanwhile, we have had several customers confirm that using the "Standard Horizon 150" setting in Offshore Navigator seems to work correctly with their RayMarine GPS. This is provided that the RayMarine GPS is set to NMEA transfer mode (and not SeaTalk.) In fact, the driver that we will provide for RayMarine support will also require the GPS to be configured in NMEA transfer mode, since RayMarine does not offer 3rd party developers access to the SeaTalk specification. If you are experiencing difficulty, ensure that you are using the NMEA transfer mode on your RayMarine GPS as well as the 5.04 version of Offshore Navigator (updates available here.)

- Ed Lecuyer

Dwight Moxness
RE: Standard Horizon
(msg #1.2.1: Posted Jan 8, 2004 9:57 AM)

Thanks for the reply. I am using the NMEA transfer mode (not Seatalk) with the Raychart 530 GPS unit, but I have Version 5.02 of Offshore Navigator (just purchased at Christmas but already a couple of revs old I guess). So, I will upgrade to V5.04 and see if that works. I am glad to see that you are working on direct Raymarine support.

Dwight Moxness

Edward Collins
RE: Standard Horizon
(msg #1.2.2: Posted Jan 14, 2004 6:40 PM)

I am trying to use my Raytech 620+ GPS unit with ON v5.04 using the Standard Horizon setting. ON keeps telling me no GPS is connected so I think I have a problem with the connections I made from the GPS unit to the serial cable. . Can you give me the serial cable pin assignments for the following FOUR wires from my Ray 620+unit: NEMA data input (+ve), NEMA input (-ve) common,
NEMA data out, Data output common.
I think Ray requires that the: Data output common wire and the NEMA input (-ve) common are connected to the same pin but beyond that I am not sure which pins to use.
Thanks for you help
Ed Collins

Ed Lecuyer
Pinnouts, connections, etc.
(msg #1.2.2.1: Posted Jan 15, 2004 11:25 AM)

Unfortunately, we do not have a wiring diagram for the 620+. I would think a call or email to RayMarine would be able to get you the pinouts you need to connect things up properly. I have been told that we had similar troubles when connecting the RN300 that we obtained so that we could develop RayMarine support within Offshore Navigator.

Another interesting thing that was discovered is that the GPS (or at least the RN300) can not be in "Simulator" mode. Simulator "turns off" all NMEA output and communications. Therefore, even if the unit doesn't have an antenna attached, it should be in standard NMEA communications mode.

Finally, while playing with the RN300 we did confirm that the Standard Horizon setting will in-fact, work. However, the communication of Routes, Waypoints, etc., is "one-way" from Offshore Navigator to the RayMarine GPS. Offshore Navigator can not receive routes and waypoints from the RayMarine GPS using the Standard Horizon setting.

The good news (in case you haven't figured it out) is that we have gotten a driver working "in the lab" that communicates with a RayMarine RN300. We have some finishing touches to do in regards to the dialog boxes, messages, and other documentation. Then we'll probably release the driver as a "beta" for our customers to provide feedback on, etc. Look for that in the comming weeks.

- Ed Lecuyer

Edward Collins
RE: Pinnouts, connections, etc.
(msg #1.2.2.1.1: Posted Jan 15, 2004 2:40 PM)

Thanks for the reply. I found the pinouts on the Raytech website. The 620+ provides GPs coordinates to ON5.04 but wont accept data from the PC. I appreciate your help and await your beta software. I will be upgrading my Raytech GPS to the new SL631 color LCD and hopefully the software will work with both.

Ed Collins

Ed Lecuyer
Raymarine Support NOW AVAILBLE (as a "beta")
(msg #4: Posted Feb 2, 2004 11:33 AM)

Good news!

We have completed development of the Raymarine GPS driver for Offshore (and Chart) Navigator. Because of the high interest for this in the discussion forum, I thought that we would release it here first, before building it into the installers for Offshore Navigator.

So while it is complete (and has passed inital/functional quality assurance testing) most of the messages/instructions that appear still need some work. While we finish that up, I thought you folks may be interested. A 'beta' of the '5.04b' version of Offshore and Chart Navigator is posted here. Please be certain to have 5.04 installed BEFORE applying this patch (otherwise, bad things will happen.)

Please, let us know what you think and if it works with your model Raymarine GPS (we have only tested/developed it for the RN300.)

Thanks to all for your patience (and to Raymarine for assisting us in this development effort.)

- Ed Lecuyer

G. Philip Schrodel
RE: Raymarine Support NOW AVAILBLE (as a
(msg #4.1: Posted Feb 2, 2004 9:05 PM)

Thank you so much. I have used Maptech OSN and Pocket Navigator for the past two years and loved it other than not supporting Raymarine. I had used a Raytheon 398 and was frustrated by not being able to use it with Maptech. I recently upgraded to a Raynav 300 despite the lack of Maptech support. I wanted the Raynav to work with my seatalk autohelm and felt that Raymarine had the best instruments.

I just downloaded and tested the new beta software. It downloaded and installed very easily. I have also exchanged routes and waypoints without a problem. I will continue to test ( and play with it).

I think it was a very smart, but overdue, move for both Raymarine and Maptech. Thanks again!

Kim Ross
5.04b Beta with Raychart 435
(msg #4.2: Posted Mar 9, 2004 11:01 AM)

Thanks for developing and testing drivers for Raymarine products! Please help me support your Beta test with my experience on a Raychart 435...

Please help me with this question... does the Test funciton on the GPS Setup control test the communication in both directions? Is there any other way to confirm that data is flowing from the PC, all the way to the GPS? I know I'm getting good flow in the opposite direction.

I've tested Cart Navigator 5.04b on a new installation of a Raychart 435 and have found that the waypoint transfer from the 435 to Chart Navigator works, but the transfer to the 435 does not work (spins during the transfer process and doesn't complete). I've just ordered Offshore Navigator and will run the test again. I'll report back.

Note that the Raychart 435 is a relatively new addition to the Raycart family at about the $900 price point, in a package that is great for mid-size boats (mine is a SeaRay Sundancer 310). The Raychart 435 and the MapTech software are two great products. I'd love to see them work together.

Regards
Kim Ross

Previous     
Replies 1 - 10 of 27
     Next       

© 1989 - 2014 Maptech, Inc., All Rights Reserved. Maptech ® is a registered trademark of Maptech, Inc.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS