HOME > SUPPORT > FORUMSLog In
Maptech Support

Old Forums - Dec. 2003 and Earlier: Old Forums - Dec. 2003 and Earlier: General Discussion: Problem connecting with GPS 48

Old Forum User
Original Message
(Posted Aug 18, 2000 9:49 AM)
thread closed

I am using a GPS 48 and trying to connect Terrain Navigator to my Gateway 9300 laptop. I continually get an error message that it cannot connect to the GPS. I have tried all the published fixes. I upgraded Terrain Navigator to version 4.05. I downloaded the latest Garmin software for this unit and successfully uploaded it to the GPS. I tried the Hyperlink test, and it worked fine on COM 1 and the NMEA setting. I got the scrolling text. I can connect with Terrain Navigator in the NMEA setting, but of course it will not let me transfer data. When I switch back to the Garmin/Garmin interface and try to connect, I still get the error message "GPS Error - Read timeout. Unable to establish communication with your GPS unit." The Gateway is new. Using my old Compaq desktop, I successfully transfered data all the time with the same GPS and cable.
What do I need to do?

Previous     
Replies 11 - 20 of 20
     Next     

Old Forum User
(msg #n/a: Posted Aug 29, 2001 8:35 AM)

Randy,

The first thing we will want is for you to update to our latest version in the downloads section of this website (which contains new GPS drivers).

When Hyperterminal sees data, we know that the port is seeing data. When the Garmin is set to None/NMEA mode, such as when running Hyperterminal, Maptech will be set to Manufacturer-- NMEA-Generic, Unit NMEA 0183 (most likely 2.1 for your unit). These setting can only be used for real-time tracking.

When the Garmin is in its GRMN/GRMN mode, Maptech will need to be set up as Manufacturer- Garmin and the Unit set to your unit (48).

Ensure all the settings, such as the baud rate, match between the Garmin and Maptech.
Try everything with the Garmin in its Simulator mode so you do not have to worry about sat. coverage.

Hope this helps,

- Mike

Old Forum User
Computer to GPS 48, waypoint compatability
(msg #n/a: Posted Sep 20, 2001 8:56 PM)

Hello, I was having some problems with the transfer. however I found the problem and maybe it will be usefull for others to know that:
When you name a waypoint in Digital Chartkit and put a spacebar in that name, the GPS48 will not recognise it, hence, instead of writting DNR KEY, put DNRKEY.

rgds

JI

Old Forum User
problem with gps and converting to tds
(msg #n/a: Posted May 18, 2002 10:00 AM)

I HAVE CHANGE MY TD NUMBER BUT WILL NOT KEEP IDID WHAT THE BOOK SAID...NUMBERS DO NOT SAY WHAT GPS SAYS...WHAT IS ANOTHER WAY TO DO IT

Old Forum User
Garmin protocol
(msg #n/a: Posted Aug 16, 2002 6:52 PM)

Try switching system interface on the 48 to NMEA 0183 - NMEA 0183 to run GPS interface. Upload and down load waypoints, etc. needs to be switched back to Garmin - Garmin.

The Garmin protocol is "too busy & too data rich" for most PC interface, The NMEA protocol , although with not as much data transfer info, will be smoother and more stable.

Old Forum User
garmin 48 connection problems
(msg #n/a: Posted Apr 18, 2003 12:10 AM)

I am using a new Dell Inspiron 2650 with windows XP professional with Maptech Offshore Navigator 5.01 and a Garmin 48 with Software 4.55 shown on the start up screen and version 2.01 on the second screen on the GPS unit.

I am new to Maptech. After trying for many hours to get the GPS to talk to the laptop I looked at your forum and tried the hyperterminal test. Bingo - we are coming in loud and clear at 4800 on com 4 in the NONE/NMEA mode NMEA 0183 2.0 4800 baud.

However when I get into the Maptech software and selcet "vessle/GPS" then "Setup" then "GPS" I then check the port setting says 4800 Parity none, data bits 8 and stop bits 1. I then select "GPS ON" an then "test" and all I get is "failed to initi Garmin 48 GPS unit". Also incendently, when I select "position from GPS" under "vessle/GPS" the computer crashes?

Any words of wisdom? Thanks in advance.

Langley

Old Forum User
Try the 5.02 update
(msg #n/a: Posted Apr 18, 2003 9:23 AM)

Offshore 5.01 had a few issues with GPS connectivity in specific circumstances that were addressed in version 5.02. Download and install the free update to 5.02 from our website, www.maptech.com, and you should be able to connect to your Garmin GPS.

Sincerely,

-Ed Lecuyer

Manager, Quality Assurance and Technical Support

Old Forum User
One more thing...
(msg #n/a: Posted Apr 18, 2003 10:31 AM)

Also, be sure that if your Garmin is in NMEA mode that you choose NMEA-Generic as your GPS manunfacturer and NMEA 2.1 as the unit. Alternatively, set the GPS to GARMIN mode and choose the GPS 48 in Offshore Nav.

Sincerely,

-Ed Lecuyer

Old Forum User
(msg #n/a: Posted Apr 18, 2003 11:42 PM)

Thanks Ed for all your help. I downloaded the new software and we are up and running. Keep up the great work.

Cheers,

Langley

Old Forum User
Garmin GPS 48
(msg #n/a: Posted Jun 14, 2003 11:40 AM)

I was finally able to get my Garmin GPS 48 to communicate with Offshore Nav 5.02 using my Toshiba laptop by loading a Serial port to USB adapter driver and setting the GPS interface to Garmin/Garmin 4800 baud rate and then selecting baud rate of 9600 in the Offshore Nav Vessel/GPS in thsetup port settings menu.

Old Forum User
If it ain't broke...
(msg #n/a: Posted Jun 16, 2003 2:04 PM)

I can not explain why having the GPS running at 4800 baud would work with Offshore Navigator at 9600 baud. However, if you are, in fact, connecting to the GPS with those settings sucessfully, you should be OK.

Sincerely,

-Ed Lecuyer

Previous     
Replies 11 - 20 of 20
     Next     

© 1989 - 2014 Maptech, Inc., All Rights Reserved. Maptech ® is a registered trademark of Maptech, Inc.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS