HOME > SUPPORT > FORUMSLog In
Maptech Support

Offshore Navigator (& Lite) & Chart Navigator (Viewer): General: Offshore Navigator Lite: Application Discussion: U.K. Tide & Current data updates

Martin Bardoe
Original Message
(Posted Nov 24, 2004 2:57 PM)

Hi Maptec Support

I have just tried to look ahead at the 2006 tide/current data but received a message telling me I would have to update my map software. Great I thought, just download a patch and away we go. No patches availible, you have to buy a new map. Not happy about that, as I feel tide and current data should be part of a members download.

Come on Team, give us all a Christmas present and make it a free download.

Regards,
Martin Bardoe :)

Previous     
Replies 16 - 25 of 35
     Next     

Sort( By Date - Threaded )

Tim Sullivan
RE(9): U.K. Tide & Current data updates
(msg #4.1.1.1.1.1: Posted May 5, 2005 8:08 AM)

Hi Ian,
You cannot download the data now because the UKHO doesnt allow us to distribute that way anymore. If you contact your vendor, they will have a free solution for you since you purchased at the end of last year.
Please contact them.
Best regards,
Tim

Discussion Forum Moderator

Peter Hayward
RE: U.K. Tide & Current data updates
(msg #5: Posted Jun 6, 2005 6:03 PM)

I bought my boat last year so I know that I have had the maptech software for less than a year.

My installation was working fine but I noticed that the tide times were about 1 hour out in the Solent so thinking it may be a software error I downloaded and installed the latest version of Offshore Navigator (5.07).

Now my tide/current data does not work.

Can anyone help, I wanted to use the PC this weekend!

Tim Sullivan
RE(2): U.K. Tide & Current data updates
(msg #5.1: Posted Jun 7, 2005 8:00 AM)

Dear Peter,
Right above your posting you will see:
" Hi ...,
You cannot download the data now because the UKHO doesnt allow us to distribute that way anymore. If you contact your vendor, they will have a free solution for you since you purchased at the end of last year.
Please contact them.
Best regards,
Tim

Discussion Forum Moderator

Ed Lecuyer
MODERATORS NOTE
(msg #5.1.2: Posted Feb 7, 2006 11:07 AM)

Unfortunately, I had to delete a response to this thread from a customer. Please review the Forum Rules to see our policy on this matter.

That having been said, please contact our UK distributor directly with specific instructions on obtaining updated tidal information. In many cases, they can offer a solution.

-Ed Lecuyer
Senior Customer Support Manager

Ron Dudas
RE: MODERATORS NOTE
(msg #5.1.2.1: Posted Feb 12, 2006 7:35 PM)

For you fellows over there in the UK.

There is a program called "WXTide32 4.3" It's a free software down load giving tide and current graphs and covers most of the world. I have found it to be very accurate. The disadvantage is you have to run it as a seperate program, but you can toggle back and forth when running Maptech OSN. It can be found at this link http://www.wxtide32.com/ This link will direct you to "Simtel.net" that has mirrors world wide for down loads. There is a down load station located in UK, France.

It's easy to install and can be easly removed through your add/remove. I have use it many times. There are many options to taylor it to your needs and it also has a very good help section. If you have any questions you about this you can post it here or ckick on my name and email me.

Good luck!

Ed Lecuyer
Thanks for the tip! *NM*
(msg #5.1.2.1.1: Posted Feb 13, 2006 9:36 AM)

Gordon Scott
RE(2): MODERATORS NOTE
(msg #5.1.2.1.2: Posted May 20, 2006 11:20 AM)

WXTide32 and WTides32both derive from Xtide and I believe all three have have had the stations removed where they could not prove an independent source from UKHO, because UKHO were threatening legal action against use of their data. Data that until recently was considered by most people to be public domain.

There is limitted coverage using instead, data from the Proudman Oceanographic Laboratories. The data is excellent, but the number of stations is much reduced.

XTide (www.flaterco.com, X-Windows only, no MS-Windows) has tools to convert tidal recordings into harmonics. If we could just get a tide logger in every sailing club and harbour, the UKHO could go whistle.

Now, I've just bought a copy of the Solent approaches chart CD via the Maptech-marine.co.uk website and this version appears not to have tidal data, though the website claims O.N. lite has it. This is a new CD as of a couple of weeks ago.
Is this expected, an oversight, an error on my part, or what?

Any advice welcome.

Thanks,
Gordon.

Gordon Scott
R: U.K. Tide & Current data updates
(msg #5.1.2.1.2.1: Posted May 22, 2006 4:55 PM)

I have some further information on lack of tides in my installation.

I have tode data when running as Administrator (which I do not normally do!), but not as my usual account (Power User).

That indicates that the tide information is present on the machine and suggests that there is some path or permissions problem. I have checked all the obvious files I can see in the area and they all appear to be read+execute for other users.

I have not seen anything yet that looks like a path problem. Where might I best look, please?

Any further suggestions?

Thanks,
Gordon.

Ed Lecuyer
Administrator, etc.
(msg #5.1.2.1.2.1: Posted May 23, 2006 11:09 AM)

This Tech Doc explains the processes needed to run Offshore Navigator properly when the user does not have administrator privilages.

-Ed Lecuyer
Senior Customer Support Manager

Gordon Scott
RE: Administrator, etc.
(msg #5.1.2.1.2.1: Posted May 23, 2006 3:47 PM)

Hi,

I have done the XP installation stuff, though this is W2K and some of the directions need interpreting a little. I've even been through the whole process adding me as a named user to those files and directories, giving full access to me as the named user.

ONL still stubbornly refuses to show any tide information.

Do you have any further suggestions?

Hm, in case it helps further, the OS is Win2k-professional with service pack 4. I wonder if MS have broken something else in SP4.

Thanks again,

Previous     
Replies 16 - 25 of 35
     Next       

© 1989 - 2014 Maptech, Inc., All Rights Reserved. Maptech ® is a registered trademark of Maptech, Inc.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS