HOME > SUPPORT > FORUMSLog In
Maptech Support

Offshore Navigator (& Lite) & Chart Navigator (Viewer): General: Offshore Navigator: Application Discussion: Next issue of OSN?   (thread closed)

David Wright
Original Message
(Posted Aug 26, 2005 3:56 AM)
thread closed

I have highlighted several errors/omissions in 5.07 OSN in the past and so have others, and support indicates that these will be passed to the developers for possible rectification.

Whilst the program is basically very good the highlighted errors make it, in some cases, difficult if not dangerous to use. Support have tried their best to offer workarounds to overcome the problems but frankly some of these are difficult to implement in a heaving wheelhouse during a Force6.

At the moment I am planning for my boating during the next 6 months and as a result I need to make a decision regarding the continuing use of OSN very soon.

My question is - When can we expect the next upgrade of OSN?

David

Previous     
Replies 1 - 10 of 19
     Next     

Sort( By Date - Threaded )

Doran Donovan
RE: Next issue of OSN?
(msg #1: Posted Aug 26, 2005 4:50 PM)

David, this is a great question. I don't have a direct answer to your question since we're still having some internal debates about this very topic. I'm expecting a 2006 product roadmap to be fully outlined and announced by the Fort Lauderdale Boat Show (late October).

Doran Donovan

David Wright
RE(2): Next issue of OSN?
(msg #1.1: Posted Nov 6, 2005 3:39 PM)

Doran, how was FLBS? Has the 2006 road map been drawn up yet? When will you publish details?
David

Doran Donovan
RE(3): Next issue of OSN?
(msg #1.1.1: Posted Nov 16, 2005 2:48 PM)

I heard the Ft Lauderdale Boat Show was lightly attended, but like Northeast Open Houses in February, the few that showed up were serious.

For 2006, we'll have the following:
- Digital ChartKit CD regions (updated charts; continuing to use Offshore Navigator)
- Marine Navigator CD regions (updated charts; continuing to use Offshore Navigator)
- Offshore Navigator - other than tweaks, I don't expect much change from 5.07
- freeboatingcharts.com - all the NOAA charts available for free download
- i3 and Sea Ray Navigator model 300 systems (3rd generation)

- Chart Navigator Pro - this is a new combination software and data product - info should be on the web by 11/21, but here are the highlights:
- Software has all standard navigation fuctions, plus Vector Chart support, quilting, an "undo" button, Internet Weather, perpetual tides, integrated guide books, AIS, ARPA/MARPA
- Product includes 13 DVDs of every avalable NOAA raster, NOAA vector, Army Corps vector, Contour 3D, Photos, Pictures, Coastal Topos. There are no regions - the whole U.S. is included.
- all this for $499.95 total. Existing Maptech customers can get it with a $50 mail-in rebate.

More details should be on the web by 11/21.

Doran Donovan

David Wright
RE(4): Next issue of OSN?
(msg #1.1.1.1: Posted Dec 5, 2005 5:20 PM)

Somewhat dissapointed with your reply. When you say 'tweaks' what do you mean? Are ANY of the points I raised being addressed? If not then I must reconsider the use of this program as I feel that there are too many semi-hidden problems to trust your life with it, more especially because I sail single handed.

Regarding the CNP, this ounds good but to be honest it would make a long weekends sail from the UK!!!

Will you be updating the East Coast UK charts?
I presume that 2006 UK Tide charts will be available from maptech.co.uk, if so when?

Dave

Tim Sullivan
RE(5): Next issue of OSN?
(msg #1.1.1.1.1: Posted Dec 6, 2005 9:18 PM)

We are updating some UK folios for the LIBS and then will continue with the regions before boating season really kicks in. Generally this means by May. The updated regions are planned to have tide updates, but if the software (CNP) changes as the primary offering then the tides piece will be handled by CNP. This is being worked out now, and we'll have our plan ready by LIBS.
Cheers,
Tim

Discussion Forum Moderator

David Wright
RE(6): Next issue of OSN?
(msg #1.1.1.1.1.1.89.463.216: Posted Dec 20, 2005 8:37 AM)

Thanks for the explanation Tim. I await with bated breath!

I had planned to start my season on April 1st. so please try to ensure that the updated data for BACD04 is available prior to this!

Happy Christmas and New Year
Dave

Tim Sullivan
RE(7): Next issue of OSN?
(msg #1.1.1.1.1.1.89.463.216: Posted Dec 20, 2005 9:34 AM)

Should be ready for LIBS in Jan.
Cheers

Discussion Forum Moderator

Jonathan Blackman
RE: Next issue of OSN?
(msg #2: Posted Dec 31, 2005 10:07 AM)

What issues do you have with 5.07?

Ed Lecuyer
Issues with 5.07
(msg #2.1: Posted Jan 12, 2006 3:10 PM)

I am not aware of the specific shortcommings that the customer who started this thread is referring to. However, as with any software product, there is always room for improvement. That having been said, we stand proudly behind Offshore Navigator and will gladly support our customers in any way that we can.

In fact, we are testing a 5.07c release this week. It contains a couple of fixes that we recently discovered needed to be done. 5.07c will be available as a free download from our web site.

-Ed Lecuyer
Senior Customer Support Manager

David Wright
RE: Issues with 5.07
(msg #2.1.1: Posted Jan 18, 2006 12:23 PM)

I refer you to my previous postings:-
"Fault on Route Plan 'Lock Dep' & 'Lock Arr' times"
"Route Plan - Last Trip"
"Lost Waypoint names"

All of which remain active although Maptech did offer a fudge for item 1. This is potentially the most dangerous as the date/month data can become reversed and unless you are aware of it then all your tidal calculations become meaningless.

David Wright

Previous     
Replies 1 - 10 of 19
     Next       

© 1989 - 2014 Maptech, Inc., All Rights Reserved. Maptech ® is a registered trademark of Maptech, Inc.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS