HOME > SUPPORT > FORUMSLog In
Maptech Support

Offshore Navigator (& Lite) & Chart Navigator (Viewer): General: Offshore Navigator: Application Discussion: Next issue of OSN?   (thread closed)

David Wright
Original Message
(Posted Aug 26, 2005 3:56 AM)
thread closed

I have highlighted several errors/omissions in 5.07 OSN in the past and so have others, and support indicates that these will be passed to the developers for possible rectification.

Whilst the program is basically very good the highlighted errors make it, in some cases, difficult if not dangerous to use. Support have tried their best to offer workarounds to overcome the problems but frankly some of these are difficult to implement in a heaving wheelhouse during a Force6.

At the moment I am planning for my boating during the next 6 months and as a result I need to make a decision regarding the continuing use of OSN very soon.

My question is - When can we expect the next upgrade of OSN?

David

Previous     
Replies 1 - 19 of 19
     Next     

Sort( By Date - Threaded )

Doran Donovan
RE: Next issue of OSN?
(msg #1: Posted Aug 26, 2005 4:50 PM)

David, this is a great question. I don't have a direct answer to your question since we're still having some internal debates about this very topic. I'm expecting a 2006 product roadmap to be fully outlined and announced by the Fort Lauderdale Boat Show (late October).

Doran Donovan

David Wright
RE(2): Next issue of OSN?
(msg #1.1: Posted Nov 6, 2005 3:39 PM)

Doran, how was FLBS? Has the 2006 road map been drawn up yet? When will you publish details?
David

Doran Donovan
RE(3): Next issue of OSN?
(msg #1.1.1: Posted Nov 16, 2005 2:48 PM)

I heard the Ft Lauderdale Boat Show was lightly attended, but like Northeast Open Houses in February, the few that showed up were serious.

For 2006, we'll have the following:
- Digital ChartKit CD regions (updated charts; continuing to use Offshore Navigator)
- Marine Navigator CD regions (updated charts; continuing to use Offshore Navigator)
- Offshore Navigator - other than tweaks, I don't expect much change from 5.07
- freeboatingcharts.com - all the NOAA charts available for free download
- i3 and Sea Ray Navigator model 300 systems (3rd generation)

- Chart Navigator Pro - this is a new combination software and data product - info should be on the web by 11/21, but here are the highlights:
- Software has all standard navigation fuctions, plus Vector Chart support, quilting, an "undo" button, Internet Weather, perpetual tides, integrated guide books, AIS, ARPA/MARPA
- Product includes 13 DVDs of every avalable NOAA raster, NOAA vector, Army Corps vector, Contour 3D, Photos, Pictures, Coastal Topos. There are no regions - the whole U.S. is included.
- all this for $499.95 total. Existing Maptech customers can get it with a $50 mail-in rebate.

More details should be on the web by 11/21.

Doran Donovan

David Wright
RE(4): Next issue of OSN?
(msg #1.1.1.1: Posted Dec 5, 2005 5:20 PM)

Somewhat dissapointed with your reply. When you say 'tweaks' what do you mean? Are ANY of the points I raised being addressed? If not then I must reconsider the use of this program as I feel that there are too many semi-hidden problems to trust your life with it, more especially because I sail single handed.

Regarding the CNP, this ounds good but to be honest it would make a long weekends sail from the UK!!!

Will you be updating the East Coast UK charts?
I presume that 2006 UK Tide charts will be available from maptech.co.uk, if so when?

Dave

Tim Sullivan
RE(5): Next issue of OSN?
(msg #1.1.1.1.1: Posted Dec 6, 2005 9:18 PM)

We are updating some UK folios for the LIBS and then will continue with the regions before boating season really kicks in. Generally this means by May. The updated regions are planned to have tide updates, but if the software (CNP) changes as the primary offering then the tides piece will be handled by CNP. This is being worked out now, and we'll have our plan ready by LIBS.
Cheers,
Tim

Discussion Forum Moderator

David Wright
RE(6): Next issue of OSN?
(msg #1.1.1.1.1.1.89.463.216: Posted Dec 20, 2005 8:37 AM)

Thanks for the explanation Tim. I await with bated breath!

I had planned to start my season on April 1st. so please try to ensure that the updated data for BACD04 is available prior to this!

Happy Christmas and New Year
Dave

Tim Sullivan
RE(7): Next issue of OSN?
(msg #1.1.1.1.1.1.89.463.216: Posted Dec 20, 2005 9:34 AM)

Should be ready for LIBS in Jan.
Cheers

Discussion Forum Moderator

Jonathan Blackman
RE: Next issue of OSN?
(msg #2: Posted Dec 31, 2005 10:07 AM)

What issues do you have with 5.07?

Ed Lecuyer
Issues with 5.07
(msg #2.1: Posted Jan 12, 2006 3:10 PM)

I am not aware of the specific shortcommings that the customer who started this thread is referring to. However, as with any software product, there is always room for improvement. That having been said, we stand proudly behind Offshore Navigator and will gladly support our customers in any way that we can.

In fact, we are testing a 5.07c release this week. It contains a couple of fixes that we recently discovered needed to be done. 5.07c will be available as a free download from our web site.

-Ed Lecuyer
Senior Customer Support Manager

David Wright
RE: Issues with 5.07
(msg #2.1.1: Posted Jan 18, 2006 12:23 PM)

I refer you to my previous postings:-
"Fault on Route Plan 'Lock Dep' & 'Lock Arr' times"
"Route Plan - Last Trip"
"Lost Waypoint names"

All of which remain active although Maptech did offer a fudge for item 1. This is potentially the most dangerous as the date/month data can become reversed and unless you are aware of it then all your tidal calculations become meaningless.

David Wright

Ed Lecuyer
Solutions
(msg #2.1.1.1: Posted Jan 23, 2006 5:05 PM)

Hi David,

I reviewed the threads mentioned. While you did locate some issues with the software, a solution was offered for each. The work-arounds are not always elegant, but should allow the safe usage of Offshore Navigator.

Regardless, our Q/A staff is aware of these issues, and will evaluate the feasibility of correcting them in the next major release of Offshore Navigator.

Readers of this thread should note that the "number 1" issue involves using Offshore Navigator in the UK with non-US conventions for date formatting. It is an oversight on our part, but is not a situation that the vast majority of our customers will encounter.

That all having been said, we are planning a 5.08 release for Offshore Navigator - but the schedule has yet to be determined. The best option, by far, is the new Chart Navigator Pro, which features an all-new development effort and is a much more robust and complete program than Offshore Navigator could ever be. It is our intent to aggressively improve and enhance Chart Navigator Pro, while Offshore Navigator will only receive minimal updates.

Please continue to send us your comments and feedback. We appreciate knowing our shortfalls, and look forward to addressing them as time and resources permit.

-Ed Lecuyer

Bill W
RE: Solutions
(msg #2.1.1.1.1: Posted Jan 24, 2006 12:54 PM)

Isn't Chart Navigator Pro the same thing as Rosepoint's Coastal Explorer? Why not just buy it from them? Am I mistaken? Did Maptech write it? What do you mean by "features an all-new development effort"?

Ed Lecuyer
Coastal Explorer vs. Chart Navigator Pro.
(msg #2.1.1.1.1.1.89.463.216: Posted Jan 25, 2006 9:17 AM)

Chart Navigator Pro is a custom edition of Rosepoint's Coastal Explorer. While Maptech did not write the bulk of the code, it assisted in the development effort, offering our resources in testing and experience as a veteran of the PC Navigation market.

Chart Navigator Pro has several advantages over Coastal Explorer, including:

- Complete 3D bathymetric "Contour" charts for the entire US. (Coastal Explorer does not support, or include these charts.)

- Chart Navigator Pro includes 13 DVDs including all available NOAA vector, Army Corps Vector, NOAA raster, Contour 3D, Navigation Photos, and Coastal Topographic Maps for the entire U.S. Coastline.

- Maptech is the sales and support agent for Chart Navigator Pro. We are a much larger company and have a long history of experience bringing navigation tools to market, while providing top-notch customer service. We stand behind the products we sell (and even stand behind those we no longer sell, nor even made a profit on, but consistently continue to assist customers with their usage and needs.)

We feel strongly that Chart Navigator Pro is an exceptional value when compared to Coastal Explorer alone. When existing Maptech customers take advantage of the $50 rebate, it becomes an even more compelling product - one that we are proud to make available to our customers.

-Ed Lecuyer

Bill W
RE: Coastal Explorer vs. Chart Navigator Pro.
(msg #2.1.1.1.1.1.89.463.216: Posted Jan 25, 2006 6:03 PM)

> Complete 3D bathymetric "Contour" charts for the entire US

Complete? Seems like eye candy to me. Who would ever actually use this?

> Chart Navigator Pro includes 13 DVDs

You mean all the things that I can download for free? I'd rather have the most current data too - not some stuff that you recorded months ago.

> Maptech is the sales and support agent for Chart Navigator Pro

I just went to Rose Point's site (www.rosepointnav.com) and I can buy their product there. I'd rather see the developer get all of the cash. My experience with Maptech support isn't something I can write about here. Want to talk about tides? Export support? Chart problems? Bell ringing all over the place? I've been using your products for many years and stopped using them in favor of Coastal Explorer. I'm just so fearful that you're going to hurt their excellent product.

From my experience, Maptech is a land/topo mapping company. Your terrain products are way better than anything you write for marine. It shows over and over for many years running.

Tell me Ed, do you even own a boat?

-Bill

Ed Lecuyer
Rebuttal: Coastal Explorer vs. Chart Navigator Pro.
(msg #2.1.1.1.1.1.89.463.216: Posted Jan 26, 2006 10:12 AM)

>> Complete 3D bathymetric "Contour" charts for the entire US
> Complete? Seems like eye candy to me. Who would ever actually use this?

They are very popular with fishermen who like to "see" the contours of the bottom. It helps reveal places where fish are likely to be found; a very useful feature.

>> Chart Navigator Pro includes 13 DVDs
> You mean all the things that I can download for free? I'd rather have
> the most current data too - not some stuff that you recorded months ago.

Not true. The DVD also includes the navigation photos and topographic maps - neither of which can be downloaded (at least not without a lot of work.) You have a point about currency; however, that's the trade-off with against having to take the time to download the charts.

>> Maptech is the sales and support agent for Chart Navigator Pro
> I just went to Rose Point's site (www.rosepointnav.com) and I
> can buy their product there. I'd rather see the developer get all of the cash.

That's your prerogative - and invite you to do so. I will say, that unlike some of the other arrangements we have made with other 3rd-party developers, Rose Point is receiving a very generous royalty. This is in recognition of the fact that they have developed an outstanding product - something that some of the other 3rd-party developers we have worked with in the past have failed to deliver. Being new to the boating industry, Rose Point does not have the same marketing power as Maptech. This is truly a win-win for both of us.

> My experience with Maptech support isn't something I can write about here.
Fine. Please feel free to write to me directly at elecuyer@maptech.com and I will do whatever I can to make the situation right. We stand behind our products, and are committed to providing the best service possible.

> Want to talk about tides?
Tides are now available for download for Offshore Navigator customers. Perpetual tides are included in Chart Navigator Pro.

> Export support?
Not sure what you mean. GIS people commonly use the free plug-in that reads BSB charts in ArcGIS.

> Chart problems?
Specifically? Any chart problems we've ever identified are promptly corrected.

> Bell ringing all over the place?
That is a feature to indicate that a new Contour 3D chart has been loaded. I agree that it can be a nuisance, which is why that feature is no longer present in Chart Navigator Pro.

> I've been using your products for many years and stopped using
> them in favor of Coastal Explorer. I'm just so fearful that you're
> going to hurt their excellent product.

Offshore Navigator was not a perfect product. Chart Navigator Pro is a much better product. It incorporates many (if not all) of the things that we were hoping to put into the "next generation" of Maptech PC Navigation products. Rose Point did it first, and we worked with them to produce a "Maptech Flavor" of their product. We have no intention to micro-manage their development effort. Of course, we'll let them know what features our customers desire - and they will look into adding those features as time and resources permit.

> From my experience, Maptech is a land/topo mapping company.
> Your terrain products are way better than anything you write for marine.
> It shows over and over for many years running.

We are proud of all of our products. Our i3 system is clearly superior to anything currently available for marine navigation. Of course, since it is a dedicated hardware platform, it can be pricey for smaller boat owners. That is why we now offer Chart Navigator Pro - it is clearly superior to anything available for that market (including our own Offshore Navigator) and we feel that the $50 price difference between Chart Navigator Pro and Coastal Explorer is more than fair, given the additional features and chart data provided in Chart Navigator Pro.

> Tell me Ed, do you even own a boat?
I'm not sure why this is relevant. Does an inflatable kayak count? I once rented a canoe.

I spend most of my recreational time enjoying my wife and 10-year-old daughter. I write music and am very active in music ministry at my church. My hobbies also include railroad history, and enjoy volunteering at a railroad museum in Alna, ME. Perhaps, I'll own boat when I retire - or make my first million - I like the look of the Hinckley picnic boat.

Cheers,

-Ed Lecuyer

Daniel Trainor
RE: Coastal Explorer vs. Chart Navigator Pro.
(msg #2.1.1.1.1.1.89.463.216: Posted Jan 31, 2006 11:40 PM)

Should interpret your statement that "Chart Navigator Pro has several advantages over Coastal Explorer" to mean that one should not purchase the product from Coastal Explorer? In this sense our you declaring MapTech a competitor of Rose Point?

Confused,

Dan

Ed Lecuyer
No, not really.
(msg #2.1.1.1.1.1.89.463.216: Posted Feb 1, 2006 8:58 AM)

We're not trying to hide the fact that we license Chart Navigator Pro from Rose Point. They are our partners. They would like to focus their limited marketing efforts on the professional and semi-professional marine markets. We focus on the recreational boating market - where we enjoy a large distribution channel built up over the last 15 years. Meanwhile, we hope that Rose Point continues to innovate - as they definitely offer a very good product.

We certainly wouldn't discourage anyone from buying directly from Rose Point. However, we feel that we offer a good value for the recreational boater by including all the charts, photos, topographic maps, and 3D contours in one, convenient package.

-Ed Lecuyer

Bill W
RE: No, not really.
(msg #2.1.1.1.1.1.89.463.216: Posted Feb 1, 2006 10:58 AM)

That was my point, Dan. OK, if you want chart DVDs from Maptech along with the product, then you probably should buy it from Maptech. Personally, I'd rather see the original developer get ALL of the money because the new developments will ultimately come from them and not Maptech.

I've met Brad from Rose Point and he's a nice guy - he deserves the income in my opinion.

Ed Lecuyer
MODERATORS NOTE
(msg #2.1.1.1.1.1.89.463.216: Posted Feb 1, 2006 11:21 AM)

1. I edited the latest post from 'Bill W' for accuracy - there is no need to keep re-hashing incomplete or misleading statements.

2. I am declaring this topic closed.

-Ed Lecuyer

Previous     
Replies 1 - 19 of 19
     Next     

© 1989 - 2014 Maptech, Inc., All Rights Reserved. Maptech ® is a registered trademark of Maptech, Inc.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS