HOME > SUPPORT > FORUMSLog In
Maptech Support
Support Home > The CAPN > Forums > The CAPN > The CAPN: Application Discussion - Version 8.0 or later > Exporting GPX Format Route to Standard Horizon CPV 350

The CAPN: General Discussion: The CAPN: Application Discussion - Version 8.0 or later: Exporting GPX Format Route to Standard Horizon CPV 350

Dave Acton
Original Message
(Posted Dec 14, 2006 11:47 AM)

I use the CAPN on a PC in my pilothouse. I recently purchased the Standard Horizon CPV chart plotter to use on my fly bridge. I would like to take routes and waypoints on the CAPN and import them into the CPV 350. The CAPN exports in GPX format, the chart plotter requires importing using the NEMA WPL and RTE sentences. Is there any utility or tool to convert the GPX file into these NEMA sentences? Any other approach using a file like is used to backup the routes and migrate them to a second pc?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Previous     
Replies 1 - 6 of 6
     Next     

Sort( By Date - Threaded )

Ed Lecuyer
No direct support
(msg #1: Posted Dec 14, 2006 2:31 PM)

At this time, there is no direct support for transferring routes from The CAPN to a Standard Horizon GPS. I did a quick Internet search and found a GPS Utility (http://www.gpsu.co.uk/) that claims to be able to import GPX files for transfer to Standard Horizon GPSs. You may want to give that a try - and please let us know if it works.

-Ed Lecuyer
Senior Customer Support Manager

Dave Acton
RE: No direct support
(msg #1.1: Posted Dec 14, 2006 4:41 PM)

Thanks for the tip. I took a quick look at the website and it looks promising. I'll not get to set up a test until mid-January, but I'll let you know how it goes. I'm also going to check with the Standard Horizon folks too.

dha

RICHARD AUBRECHT
RE: Exporting GPX Format Route to Standard Horizon CPV 350
(msg #2: Posted May 17, 2007 1:08 PM)

Ben Cahn
Dave, now that you have had the cpv 350 for several months now, what is your overall assesment? Pro / Con I'm looking to purchase one due to lack of console space and I'm really not sure about this unit.

Dave Acton
RE(2): Exporting GPX Format Route to Standard Horizon CPV 350
(msg #2.1: Posted May 18, 2007 10:54 AM)

I bought the unit at the Annapolis show in October, really the end of the season here on the Chesapeake. I tested the visibility, user interface, etc in Oct, but have not yet had a chance to take it on a decent trip.

Sunlight visibility looked good, user interface is not quite as smooth as I would like, but that's true with many units. I've had Standard Horizon radios in the past and prefer how they work to my Icom.

It fit my space needs well, a prime consideration for me. Cost was another. I was not able to upgrade all my electronics at this time. If I were, I probably would have gone Raymarine. But this was a good interim solution until (if) I'm ready to do more extensive cruising. I would probably replace this at that time (or not -- an independent redundant system has some good advantages too. I needed a new radio and a chart plotter on the fly bridge. This gave me both for about 10 boat bucks, including charts.

If you buy, check out Defender for good prices.

Tom Conrad
RE: Exporting GPX Format Route to Standard Horizon CPV 350
(msg #3: Posted May 21, 2007 5:01 PM)

Dave,
Did you ever get your GPX files to work with your Standard Horizon chart plotter? What utility did you use? I am trying to do the same thing with using EasyGPS to put routes into my Garmin III+, now a very old GPS. It all works well except if I exceed my limit of the number of waypoints allowed in a single route. The old versions of Capn would automatically break a big route into smaller ones of the maximum size. EasyGPS doesn't. What do you do with big routes?
Tom

Dave Acton
RE(2): Exporting GPX Format Route to Standard Horizon CPV 350
(msg #3.1: Posted May 22, 2007 11:36 AM)

I downloaded the utility suggested above from the UK, but I have not yet been able to get all the pieces together in order to try the download. My email correspondence with them was very helpful. Maybe later in June.

I rarely have routes with more than 10-15 waypoints, so big routes have never presented a problem for me.

Previous     
Replies 1 - 6 of 6
     Next     

© 1989 - 2014 Maptech, Inc., All Rights Reserved. Maptech ® is a registered trademark of Maptech, Inc.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS