HOME > SUPPORT > FORUMSLog In
Maptech Support

Old Forums - Dec. 2003 and Earlier: Old Forums - Dec. 2003 and Earlier: General Discussion: What GPS units will work with Maptech

Old Forum User
Original Message
(Posted Oct 5, 1999 12:49 PM)
thread closed

I'm in the market for both an electronic navigation program as well as a new GPS unit. Before I get your software, I want to know what GPS units will work with Maptech.

Thanks,

Dr.Bob Sinclair

Previous     
Replies 111 - 120 of 120
     Next     

Old Forum User
Can't put raster graphics on a handheld GPS
(msg #n/a: Posted Jun 11, 2003 12:58 PM)

The raster graphics that make up our charts and maps are simply too memory and data intensive to display on anything but a PC.

The good news is that PocketPCs (available from HP/Compaq, Dell, and others) are powerful enough to display our maps and charts, are as portable as many handheld GPSs, and can have various sleeves or cards attached that make them into GPS units. Be sure to check out "Pocket Navigator" on our website for more information. The display of our maps and charts on a PocketPC with GPS is really a great way to do handheld navigation - and it keeps track of your addresses and plays solitare too!

We also offer Outdoor Navigator for the Palm (witch can also be configured with a GPS attachment). However, at this time, Outdoor Navigator will only interface with our Online Mapserver - it can not read KAP/BSB directly.

Sincerely,

-Ed Lecuyer

Manager, Quality Assurance and Technical Support

Old Forum User
Is maptech compatible with Bluetooth GPS
(msg #n/a: Posted Jun 22, 2003 7:23 PM)

I tried to connect my laptop and PDA Maptech Charts with a Bluetooth Emtac GPS. The Maptech chart program was not responding and the menu did not support the BLUETOOTH GPS. Does Maptech have a fix for this problem. DA

Old Forum User
Bluetooth Support in Pocket Navigator
(msg #n/a: Posted Jun 23, 2003 3:24 PM)

Bluetooth GPSs have been tested with our PDA software, Pocket Navigator and work very well. I have included
instructions on how to set this up, following this message.

Please note, however, there is no way to transmit the Bluetooth GPS position to a laptop via the PDA.

Sincerely,

-Ed Lecuyer

Initializing your Bluetooth GPS receiver to work with Pocket Navigator

1. Turn on your Bluetooth GPS receiver.

2. Turn on your PDA device that has Bluetooth capabilities.

3. Go to Start > Settings > System > Bluetooth > Bluetooth Manager

4. Tap on New > Connect > Explore a Bluetooth device > Next >

5. Now click on Tap here to choose a device. In here the PDA should identify the Bluetooth GPS receiver. Click on that, select Serial Port, click next, then Finish. Close out of all remaining windows.

6. Open Pocket Navigator and go to Menu then GPS then to Setup.

7. In here select:

- Manufacturer: NMEA

- Model: NMEA 0183

- Port: Com8: Bluetooth serial port Com.

- Baud: 4800

Click OK.

8. Select the Bluetooth GPS from the list on the next screen.

9. This will bring you back to your main screen. Tap on the small blue circle with an (i) in it. This should read NO SIGNAL.

10. Finally, go outside and you should receive a position on a map you have loaded for the area you are in. You can also go to Menu > GPS > Satellites to see your progress.

Old Forum User
Humminbird Matrix interface?
(msg #n/a: Posted Jul 20, 2003 12:34 PM)

Could you please explore the possibility of adding capability to interface with the Humminbird Matrix series?
Thanks,
Nels

Old Forum User
Will do (*NM*)
(msg #n/a: Posted Jul 30, 2003 11:03 AM)

Old Forum User
Eagle Accumap Sport
(msg #n/a: Posted Sep 4, 2003 9:28 AM)

Before I buy a cable for my unit, I wanted to make sure it would interface, since it's not listed on the Lowrance/Eagle choices; neither is the Accunav Sport, which is similar, so I figured I'd better check. Thanks....Rick

Old Forum User
Live tracking should work fine.
(msg #n/a: Posted Sep 5, 2003 8:34 AM)

You should be able to use this NMEA-compatable GPS for live tracking in both our Land and Marine navigation products.

According to Lowrance, the unit is internally similar to the Eagle Map Guide Pro, which is supported for transfer of routes and waypoints to and from our products. While I can not guarantee compatablity, chances are very good that this setting should work fine with your AccuNav Sport.

Sincerely,

-Ed Lecuyer

Old Forum User
Thanks!
(msg #n/a: Posted Sep 5, 2003 10:38 AM)

Old Forum User
Navman 4400
(msg #n/a: Posted Sep 16, 2003 5:42 PM)

What mfg code in Chart Navigator works best to support using the Navman 4400 Bluetooth GPS. Unit works great with my HP IPaq 2215 and Pocket Navigator but I want to use it with my laptop and Chart Navigator as well

Old Forum User
Chart Navigator does not do realtime tracking.
(msg #n/a: Posted Sep 17, 2003 8:52 AM)

Since Chart Navigator does not do any real time positioning, there is no way to configure it to be used with a Bluetooth GPS, since all the bluetooth does is provide a NMEA data feed of position information.

For realtime tracking, you need Offshore Navigator.

In Offshore Navigator, as long as the Bluetooth driver is configured such that it is sending standard NMEA sententances to a simulated COM (or Serial) port, it should work correctly as a NMEA-Generic GPS. You may want to check with NAVMAN to ensure that the 4400 driver can be configured to emulate a standard Serial/COM port.

Sincerely,

-Ed Lecuyer

Previous     
Replies 111 - 120 of 120
     Next     

© 1989 - 2014 Maptech, Inc., All Rights Reserved. Maptech ® is a registered trademark of Maptech, Inc.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS