HOME > SUPPORT > FORUMSLog In
Maptech Support

Chart Navigator Pro & Chart Navigator Light: General: Chart Navigator Pro: Application Discussion: Importing Tide Data

Ross Williamson
Original Message
(Posted Mar 20, 2007 6:44 PM)

Hi - hopefully this is not a stupid question.

I just bought BACD013 from a Maptech dealer here in the UK and have imported all of the charts onto a local hard disk from the CD.

However, I am not sure how to import the tidal data that came in a separate directory on the CD, so that the Chart Navigator application can see (and use them). These files are called *.T1 and *.C1 ...

At the moment, no tidal data is visible even though the options are selected under the 'format' menu.

If I ask the app for a tidal current prediction (for example) it says that there are no tide stations found at (position)

Please help

Previous     
Replies 1 - 10 of 11
     Next     

Sort( By Date - Threaded )

Ross Williamson
RE: Importing Tide Data
(msg #1: Posted Mar 22, 2007 5:52 AM)

HELLO.... Maptech support?

Any help via this forum or a reply to my email much appreciated.

Wayne Pearson
RE(2): Importing Tide Data
(msg #1.1: Posted Mar 22, 2007 8:37 AM)

Hi Ross,

Your question involved some research; I apologize for the delayed response.

UK tides and currents are handled exclusively by our UK distributor: http://www.maptech-marine.co.uk/
Support and Sales Tel: +44 (0)870 740 9040

I readily reproduced the same installation result you experienced.
The files in the TIDES folder on the CD did not copy to the hard drive, even though I had checked the box "copy other (non-chart) information".
I used Windows to copy the T1 and C1 files into my hard drive's \Chartkit\TIDES\, and I ran the Clear Tide Cache download, but still no tide stations were shown on the BA charts.

Offshore Navigator and Offshore Navigator Lite tide and current data are readily available for the USA, but UK tides and currents are handled exclusively by our UK distributor:

Wayne Pearson

Ross Williamson
RE(3): Importing Tide Data
(msg #1.1.1: Posted Mar 22, 2007 9:32 AM)

Hi Wayne

Thanks for the reply and for the investigation work. I have contacted the UK distributors and they are going to send me a tidal update CD.

All the tide data on the CD that they supplied has file write dates of August 2005, so they may well be out of date. However, I would have thought the application would display an error message to say that tide data was out of date rather than simply display nothing.

I am not that confident this will fix the issue.

I am also a little concerned that if the tide information on the CD is from 2005, how up to date are these charts? There have been quite a few chart corrections since then!!!

...Oh crikey - I have just checked and the last chart updates were done in JUNE 2005...

Are there no more up to date charts than this? That is bordering on the dangerous! Please can you confirm that I have the most up to date version of this CD?

MANUFACTURER MAPTECH, INC. (1-978-792-1000)
REGION NUMBER BACD13
REGION NAME Scotland: South West
CD-ROM DATE 07/31/2005

Many thanks

Ross

Wayne Pearson
RE(4): Importing Tide Data
(msg #1.1.1.1: Posted Mar 22, 2007 4:10 PM)

Hi Ross,

The most up-to-date BACD 13 disk is edition 4.2, 07/31/2005.
Several other Brittish Admiralty (BACD) disks are being updated
this year; however, BACD 13 is not among them.

Please contact our UK distributor for information about BA tide data.

UK tides and currents are handled exclusively by our UK distributor: http://www.maptech-marine.co.uk/
Support and Sales Tel: +44 (0)870 740 9040

Wayne Pearson

Ross Williamson
RE(5): Importing Tide Data
(msg #1.1.1.1.1: Posted Mar 23, 2007 9:39 AM)

Wayne

One last observation. Chart Navigator that came on the same CD as the charts (1.1.58) now displays the tidal data.

However, Chart Navigator Pro 1.1.62 does not.

Weird? Any ideas?

Wayne Pearson
RE(6): Importing Tide Data
(msg #1.1.1.1.1.1.89.463.216: Posted Apr 5, 2007 2:43 PM)

Hi Ross,

Chart Navigator Light 1.1.58 and Chart Navigator Pro 1.1.61 do have the same user interface and appearance; however, they are actually two completely different programs. Chart Navigator Light 1.1.58 was developed for the UK market exclusively, and Chart Navigator Pro 1.1.61 was developed for the US market.

Wayne Pearson

Peter Ulph
RE(7): Importing Tide Data
(msg #1.1.1.1.1.1.89.463.216: Posted Jun 12, 2007 2:12 PM)

Wayne,

I have the identical issue that Ross is having........I have tried uninstalling, and reinstalling both CNP and the Tides and Currents (UK). CNP is version 1.1.62, bought from Memory-map (UK)and the T&C also a recent update purchase from MM. I have followed past threads on this, clearing caches etc...no luck yet.

Mem-Map (UK) doesnt have any info, faq or forums that are of any use to marine software users. I need to rely on your US site for assistance.

Any ideas........I have reverted to another older laptop using OSN, that thankfully still works, hoped you can help me fix this - CNP is an expensive piece of software upgrade. I also understand that the currents overlay resemble thin, purple, virtually invisible arrows - can this be tweaked?

Peter Ulph

Wayne Pearson
RE(8): Importing Tide Data
(msg #1.1.1.1.1.1.89.463.216: Posted Jun 13, 2007 12:54 PM)

Hi Peter,

OSN, Offshore Navigator, and CNP, Chart Navigator Pro, approach tide and current data differently.
OSN uses a table of data for tides and current.
CNP does a perpetual calculation, using NOAA's harmonic model, instead of a data table.

The tides and current harmonics included in Maptech Chart Navigator Pro are from a database provided by NOAA. While we have found (and corrected) some errors in how we interpreted the data in years past, in every recent occurrence when a customer has located what it is believed to be an error, the predictions in Chart Navigator Pro have matched the official NOAA harmonic perfectly.

Wayne Pearson

Joe Martin
RE(9): Importing Tide Data
(msg #1.1.1.1.1.1.89.463.216: Posted Aug 11, 2007 1:39 PM)

Greetings Wayne,

Perhaps this reply belongs in a new thread, but your statement that the Maptech predictions match the official NOAA harmonics is incorrect in so far as Alaska's Cook Inlet currents are concerned.

In 2007, NOAA created three new reference stations in Cook Inlet (Kennedy Entrance, The Forelands, and Knik Arm) and added and deleted several subordinate stations. The Cook Inlet tides and currents are no longer based on Wrangell Narrows, but on these new reference stations.

Although I use an inspection of the Maptech predictions in decision making, they do not accurately reflect the official predictions.

Does Maptech intend to adjust their predictions to match NOAA's changes?

Kind Regards,

Joe Martin

Wayne Pearson
RE(4): Importing Tide Data
(msg #1.1.1.2: Posted Aug 15, 2007 8:23 AM)

Hi Ross,

I will get the answer from the production department.
Wayne Pearson

Previous     
Replies 1 - 10 of 11
     Next     

© 1989 - 2014 Maptech, Inc., All Rights Reserved. Maptech ® is a registered trademark of Maptech, Inc.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS