HOME > SUPPORT > FORUMSLog In
Maptech Support

Old Forums - Dec. 2003 and Earlier: Old Forums - Dec. 2003 and Earlier: Marine Navigation and Software: Raymarine GPS Upload Support

Old Forum User
Original Message
(Posted Jul 8, 2002 6:21 PM)
thread closed

I bought and updated via download the latest Offshore navigator and installed on my boat, which is equipped with Raymarine RL70RC Radar/Chartplotter and 120 WAAS GPS. The ON box says "Full GPS Integration" and "Upload and Download capability to GPS Units." Then I find that ON does not support Raymarine GPS units. I feel ripped off, based on what the product description on the box says. Do you have plans to support Raymarine soon? I do get the location from the GPS, but bought this product specifically to upload the route plans to my chartplotter.

Previous     
Replies 1 - 29 of 29
     Next     

Old Forum User
Raytheon GPS support.
(msg #n/a: Posted Jul 9, 2002 8:44 AM)

While we directly support more than 50 units from a variety of manufacturers, we do not have upload/download support of waypoints or routes for Raytheon/Raymarine products at this time. Unfortunately, I can not give you an estimate when support may be added; but we are always adding support for additional units and manufacturers as time and resources permit.

If this feature is important, you may wish to contact us for a refund. Please call us at 888-839-5551.

Sincerely,

-Ed Lecuyer

Manager, Quality Assurance and Technical Support

Old Forum User
raymarine
(msg #n/a: Posted Oct 14, 2002 8:09 PM)

any news on supporting raymarine units

Old Forum User
Raymarine support
(msg #n/a: Posted Feb 19, 2003 9:43 PM)

Does this have something to do with the fact that ray marine has a similar product which seems to be built on the offshore navigator and in fact can use the data files of offshore navigator?

Old Forum User
(msg #n/a: Posted Feb 20, 2003 8:26 AM)

Hello Stephan,

We keep databases that track every GPS request that comes into Maptech (for instance, a vote have been taken for each unique poster on this board, requests on the phone, or that come into suggestions@maptech.com). When it comes time for our development staff to incorporate more GPS units into the software, the units that get focused on are the most requested units. Raytheon and Raymarine units, while in our database, have yet to 'make the cut'. There are actually many software and hardware manufacturers that use the Maptech BSB format chart data, so this is not an issue at all.

Hope this helps clarify,

- Mike

Old Forum User
Raymarine Support
(msg #n/a: Posted Apr 20, 2003 10:23 PM)

Consider this another vote for having Offshore Navigator support Raymarine GPS.

Given that Raymarine equipment is probably the most often used equipment on sailing vessels, I do find it a bit insincere of Maptech to suggest that you have not received more requests for support.

I will be making a request of various list serves that I am on to also post "Votes" for raymarine integration

Old Forum User
RayMarine Support
(msg #n/a: Posted Apr 21, 2003 9:29 AM)

I have added another 'vote' for RayMarine GPS support for transfer of routes, tracks, waypoints, etc. Of course, real-time tracking through NMEA communication is already supported. Please note that it would be helpful to us if you (or people that you ask) include the specific RayMarine GPS (model number) that you would like us to support; when we implement our RayMarine driver, we want to ensure that it is compatible with the most popular unit(s).

As far as our sincerity, the current 'voting' shows a 12:1 need for us to support additional units from one specific manufacturer over RayMarine. That is were we are placing our current development effort in this regard.

Thanks for your input and concern,

-Ed Lecuyer

Old Forum User
Raymarine Support
(msg #n/a: Posted Apr 22, 2003 5:29 PM)

Please add my vote for Raymarine support. I have a Raytheon RC320 and Offshore Navigator.
I keep downloading the Raytech Navigator demo thinking that I will purchase it to have truly integrated software. I like O.N. better and hope the voting count goes up.

PS most boats on my dock have Raytheon/Raymarine.

Old Forum User
Raymarine Support

Please add my vote for Raymarine support. I have a Raytheon RC320 and Offshore Navigator.
I keep downloading the Raytech Navigator demo thinking that I will purchase it to have truly integrated software. I like O.N. better and hope the voting count goes up.

Old Forum User
Raymarine Support

Old Forum User
Vote Added *NM*
(msg #n/a: Posted Apr 23, 2003 10:03 AM)

Old Forum User
Raymarine GPS Upload support
(msg #n/a: Posted Apr 25, 2003 2:30 PM)

Please add my vote too. I have a Raychart 420 and have been waiting for the feature to export routes/waypoints for 3 years now.

Sam

Old Forum User
raymarine GPS upload support
(msg #n/a: Posted Apr 28, 2003 9:54 AM)

Add my vote to it as well. I use a Raymarine RC320.

Still I want to draw Raytheon users attention to the fact that when waypoints and routes are present on the RaytMarine GPS, they take precedence on the Seatalk network. This means that when running PC based software the waypoint and route info on the PC can no longer be displayed as for instance Bearing To Waypint info on the Seatalk network. Also the AutoPilot will no longer be controlled from the PC.

Old Forum User
2 more votes added *NM*
(msg #n/a: Posted Apr 28, 2003 1:10 PM)

Old Forum User
Raymarine support
(msg #n/a: Posted May 19, 2003 7:22 PM)

I want to add my vote to support Raymarine units. I have a NAV 398. Another alternative would be to provide MapTech users a better ability to define the interface with GPS units that MapTech does not support. It appears to me that all that would be necessary is to be able to specify the proprietary prefix on the NMEA sentences.

Old Forum User
What we mean by "Support"
(msg #n/a: Posted May 20, 2003 9:44 AM)

First, I added your "vote" for the NAV 398.

When we say that we "support" a GPS unit, it means that we have one of those units in our inventory for development, testing, and support. This way we can ensure that we are fully compatable with these units and can provide specific assistance when customers contact us with perticular problems. We also develop a close relationship with that GPS manufacturer to ensure that we implement the best possible drivers for those units.

After working with many manufacturers, there is no way to provide a "generic" driver that specifies the proprietary prefix. Every GPS we have done in the past is radically different from almost every other.

In short, until this is established with Raymarine, there is no quick fix for supporting their GPS units.

Sincerely,

-Ed Lecuyer

Old Forum User
Seems like a weak excuse
(msg #n/a: Posted May 20, 2003 9:50 AM)

I've been reading the posts regarding a Raymarine (and Raytheon previously) interface for the past two years. First it was on-going discussions with Raymarine by your marketing dept. Now it's lack of interest on the part of Raymarine equipment owners! I've seen more posts on the part of Raymarine owners (myself included) than any other non-supported brand. In fact, I can't even think of another non-supported brand discussed on the forum! Last year I had to "hand jam" 350 waypoints from my maptech paper listings to my Raymarine Chart plotter to support movement of our boat from the Potomac River in Virginia to Lake Champlain in upstate NY. All this for lack of implementation of a well defined, simple interface. So what's the real skinny, licensing fees to Ray Marine?

Old Forum User
Whiney Posts & The Real Skinny
(msg #n/a: Posted May 20, 2003 10:28 AM)

First off, the tone of this message is a tad close to violating the rules about "no whiney posts" in the General discussion thread. I will answer your questions, but please keep all future discussion good-natured. I don't "moderate" too often - I believe in honest, open dialog as long as it remains in a positive direction.

There are no licensing fees to Raymarine that I am aware of.

Since your post came in just as I posted the response to Thomas Albert (see above in this same thread), I assume you did not see my comments about supported units. That is the "real skinny".

But you specifically ask about our numbers and data, so I will provide the following general (but accurate) information:

Unsupported Garmin units account for 54% of the requests. We are working to directly resolve at least 20% of these with a new driver due out shortly. For most of the other popular Garmins, we will be looking to provide "suggested" settings that we have verified that work with the unit, but we cannot completely support since we will not be able to maintain that unit in our permanent library of GPS units.

Unsupported Magellan units account for 20% of the requests. However, we do not have any new units from Magellan in our current development cycle at this time.

Unsupported Lowrance units account for 7% of the requests. We do not have any new units from Lowrance in our current development cycle at this time.

Unsupported Trimble units account for 6% of the requests. We do not have any new units from Trimble in our current development cycle at this time.

Unsupported Raytheon/Raytech units account for 4% of the requests. We do not have any units from Raytheon/Raytech in our current development cycle at this time.

Unsupported Furuno units account for 3% of the requests. Furuno has asked us to provide drivers for 2 additional units, which we have in our development schedule.

All other manufacturers combined account for 4% of the requests. With the exception of direct support for certain USB-driven GPS units, we are not working on any of those units at this time.

Thus, we are truly working on the needs of the majority of our customers - or with manufactures that, through goodwill and cooperation, would like to see us more fully support their complete product line.

That is the real skinny. I'm sorry that it may not be the answer that you (or your fellow Raymarine customers) are looking for. However, it does represent the true conditions of the current market for our products.

Sincerely,

-Ed Lecuyer

Old Forum User
(msg #n/a: Posted May 21, 2003 9:17 AM)

My apology for a negative, caustic posting. I guess I was thinking about how hard it was to "hand Jam" those fifty waypoints every day. And unlike the Garmin units, I couldn't just type the coordinates in. I had to move the cursor from point to point till the readout read correctly, then input the position.

My compliments to you for providing such a concise response. I'll try to be patient and hope that Raymarine eventually makes it up your priority list.

Old Forum User
actually, it kinda is...
(msg #n/a: Posted Jun 9, 2003 9:43 PM)

Actually, I have used the "Standard Horizon GPS Chart 150" to successfully upload waypoints and marks from my RL70CRC. Another alternative is that "GPS Utility" at http://www.gpsu.co.uk/ offers that ability to read track and waypoint files from Maptech and upload/download these files to/from Raytheon. My problem is I bought a copy of Maptech Offshore Navigator before discovering the poor USB/serial support.

Old Forum User
That's good information
(msg #n/a: Posted Jun 10, 2003 3:46 PM)

I'm not overly surprised to learn that the Std. Horizon driver might work with the Raytheon units. If anyone wants to try it, be my guest.

I'm unsure what you mean by "the poor USB/serial support". We support up to 6 COM ports (which can be expanded to be any number via a simple change) and any USB GPS unit that installs a driver that disguies itself as a virtual COM port/serial device. As far as I am aware, all USB GPS units work in this fashion. In fact, we just started to resell a specific model USB GPS that we have confirmed working with Offshore Navigator, and is up for the rigors of marine use (it's waterproof). Again, call us for details.

For the record, I did not allow part of your post to go live, as it did not keep in the spirit of our discussion forum. Please keep the conversation civil so that all may enjoy the benifits of this discussion group.

Sincerely,

-Ed Lecuyer

Old Forum User
Raytheon RN300 GPS
(msg #n/a: Posted Nov 9, 2003 4:47 AM)

Consider this one more vote for upload/download to/from Raymarine GPS in Offshore Navigator.

Whith hope

Magne

Old Forum User
Ratheon 420 Support
(msg #n/a: Posted Nov 10, 2003 3:17 AM)

Please add another request for Raymarine 420 support. This is actually repeat request from 3+ years ago. Trying not to be whiny, I wish now that I had gone with nav sw that would integrate the PC with the GPS chartplotter. It is cumbersome to keep them in sync and not very safe not to.

Old Forum User
vote added *NM*
(msg #n/a: Posted Nov 10, 2003 9:38 AM)

Old Forum User
vote added *NM*
(msg #n/a: Posted Nov 10, 2003 9:38 AM)

Old Forum User
My Prior Message Not Clear
(msg #n/a: Posted Nov 11, 2003 2:06 AM)

I apologize that the message above sounded harsher than I meant it. There are many things that I like about OSN, and I appreciate the improvements that have been made to the product.

I don't doubt the statistics that you have cited for the requests that you have for GPS brand/model support. I wonder, however, if there are some brands, Raymarine for example, that are under represented in the requests because the owners checked to see if their models were supported before they bought nav SW. I don't have any facts to support my feelings, but I doubt that there are more Standard or Lowrance or Trimble users than Raytheon/Raymarine users. Maybe you are missing a large segment of the market by not having this support.

Thanks for your support.

Old Forum User
Anything is possible...
(msg #n/a: Posted Nov 11, 2003 9:14 AM)

It is possible that we are missing a large segment of the market. However, we do tally the same "votes" when someone contacts us to see if a unit is supported, regardless if they have purchased the product or not. While that information is available on the web site, etc., we do get people who still call/email to ask.

That all having been said, someone told me that the Std Horizon driver (of all things) seemed to work with their Raytheon/RayMarine GPS. Anyone here ever try that?

Sincerely,

-Ed Lecuyer

Old Forum User
GOOD NEWS! (I hope)
(msg #n/a: Posted Nov 12, 2003 8:51 AM)

I just got off the phone with a product manager at Raymarine. Apparently, the Raymarine folks have read this discussion thread with great interest, and would like to see us fully support their GPS units.

Given this new turn of events, we may be in luck to get some direct support. This will come via their NMEA interface, not SeaTalk, however.

In the meanwhile, you may try to use the Std Horizon setting in Chart/Offshore Navigator with the NMEA setting in Raymarine equipment as it appears that their transfer protocol are very similar.

Sincerely,

-Ed Lecuyer

Old Forum User
(msg #n/a: Posted Nov 21, 2003 6:56 PM)

Ed,

Yes I confirm that the Standard Horizon/NMEA GPS Chart 150 driver works fine with my Raytheon system. I have my Laptop connected to a Raymarine PC/Seatalk interface box connected to a Raychart 420 Chartplotter (through NMEA). I am uploading waypoints and routes to the Chartplotter with no problem. I even keep the Standard Horizon driver setting for normal navigation (do not need to switch back to NMEA Generic).

Sam

Old Forum User
Thanks for sharing that information with everyone!
(msg #n/a: Posted Nov 21, 2003 7:00 PM)

Previous     
Replies 1 - 29 of 29
     Next     

© 1989 - 2014 Maptech, Inc., All Rights Reserved. Maptech ® is a registered trademark of Maptech, Inc.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS